Celebrate Black History month by reading from our selection of books exploring the African American experience. There are lists for all ages.
Items marked with an * are exclusive to the Collegedale Library libby/overdrive ebook offerings.
The History of Discrimination
- The New Jim Crow - An account of the impact of prisons in America.
- Stamped From the Beginning - The history of racist thinking in American society.
- A Few Red Drops - A photobook journey of the Chicago Race Riots
- Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents - A thorough examination of caste, race, and power in American society.
- The People of Clarendon County
- Death of Innocence
- We Are Your Sisters
- Generations of Captivity
- Just Mercy
- Because They Marched
- Between the World and Me
- White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism - An exploration by educator Robin DiAngelo addressed to fellow white Americans.
- How to be an Antiracist
- me and white supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and become a Good Ancestor
- So You Want To Talk About Race
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race
Black Joy, Healing, and Recovery
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
- The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health*
- The 100 Best African American Poems
- My Grandmother's Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending*
- Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness - A nonfiction picture book about racial inequality.
- Twelve Days in May - A photobook novel about the Freedom Riders.
- The Forgotten Girl - A fictional ghost story novel about reclaiming an abandoned segregated cemetery.
- The Book Itch: Freedom, Truth & Harlem's Greatest Bookstore - A picture book about the founding of the National Memorial African Bookstore.
- Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom
- Ellington Was Not a Street*
- The March Against Fear
- Harbor Me
- Mae Among the Stars
- Ghost Boys
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History*
Black Kid Positivity
- Hair Love
- Let's Clap, Jump, Sing & Shout - Games, Songs & Stories from an African American Childhood
- The Day You Begin
- Princess Hair
- You Made Me A Dad
- I Am Brown
- I Am Perfectly Designed
- My Hair Is A Garden
- My Family Plays Music
- Hair, It's A Family Affair
- An Angel Just Like Me
- Wow! It Sure Is Good to be You
Narratives From and Starring: YA
- American Street
- The Hate U Give
- The Color of Water [Biography]
- Let Me Hear A Rhyme* - Three Brooklyn teens work to turn a friend into a rap star - by pretending he's still alive.
- Clap When You Land
- I'm Not Dying with You Tonight*
- Racial Profiling: Everyday Inequality [Nonfic]
- Freedom's Children [Nonfic]
- Dear Martin
- The Black Friend: On Being a Better White Person [Nonfic]
Narratives From and Starring: Adult Fiction
- An American Marriage
- The Water Dancer
- Children of Blood and Bone
- Black Leopard, Red Wolf - Mixing myth, fantasy, and history; what happens when a mercenary is hired to find a missing child?
- Such a Fun Age - What does family mean in a time of identity and privilege?
- The Tradition* - The 2020 Pulitzer Poetry Winner: on fatherhood, legacy, blackness, queerness, worship, and trauma.
- American Spy
- My Sister, The Serial Killer
- The Yellow House: A Memoir*
- The Secret Women*
- The Prophets